Wednesday, 4 March 2015

CPTR 100-08 Course Reflection

Initially, my thoughts on Nursing Informatics were vague, as I have never heard of such a topic before. My perception was that of nursing having some co-relation with information technology incorporated into the delivery of healthcare somewhat proved to be correct after completion of my first assignment in the course.

Till date, I have realized the importance of this course not only to the profession of nursing, but to the professional development of the Nurse in a technology-driven health system. It is said......."a nurse must acquire 21st century knowledge and skills to practice in a complex, emerging technologically sophisticated, consumer-centric global environment."(Warren & Connors, 2007). To this i can testify, as my basic knowledge and skills in navigating many software tools has been increased, as i have been challenged to keep enhancing learnt skills not only as a nurse but as a student researcher.

The topics that have stood out for me in this course were, "Electronic Health Records", "Information Systems,"and "Telehealth"as i have seen and came to acknowledge the way in which information technology has positively impacted in the healthcare needs of Trinidad and Tobago and appreciate how much more can be done to improving healthcare outcomes. My most challenging topic was "Evaluating Web resources" as it takes a more analytic approach which can be time-consuming.

CPTR 100-08 has been my most challenged course in my history of nursing education. Many times I've felt like giving up due to it's enormous content and short deadlines more so discovering that online learning is indeed much more harder than a classroom. Many times I've craved the guidance of a tutor when i got stuck in the middle of the night, but where is the tutor @ 9, 10, 11 pm? As those were times i tried to get my assignments done when my kids are asleep and the house was much quieter. I often felt alone and helpless as this course requires a more hands on approach which reading alone cannot prepare you for. Thanks to technology i was able to group up with classmates who would also share their experiences and render assistance which would motivate me to continue.

My recommendations to improving this course is having this course done by itself in a module. It shouldn't be a crash course as Nursing Informatics is one in which one must be adequately enlightened. More feedback should be given to assignments as there were times i didn't know if i went wrong or what areas to improve on. The tutor can be readily available at least two days per week for at least 2-3 hours to assist in students having difficulty or to address concerns with the course. More motivation from lecturers is always a plus for students as the weaker ones can become resilient as the others.

Every topic that was set out in the course was beneficial and I've learnt much from it that would not only equip me to become a better student but be a better functioning nurse. I'm elated the course is coming to an end and my wish is for my lecturer to keep an open mind to my recommendations.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Peachy Peach
    A colour to complement the name beautiful.
    Before starting this course I too didn't know of Nursing Informatic, I was totally blown away by the enormity of this specialty and it's long existence. I love your quote.
    Keep moving forward and striving for excellence as you continue on this life long career of nursing because even if we are retired from bedside or active duty we will always be a nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peachy Peach. Nice to make your acquaintance. Your design is beautiful.I too had minimal knowledge of Nursing informatics prior to this program.I believe in empowerment through knowledge and the information gathered via this course, is our sounding board for continued professional development in information technology. At least within the Caribbean, we can become some of the pioneers of nursing informatics and encourage/ facilitate transition of our health service into the technological age, where the workload is smoother and client centered care is more intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peachy Peach, I must say you have a very unique name, lovely. This topic you spoke on nursing informatics is very interesting. If I was not participating in this course myself I would have jump on board with you as it is as you explained very interesting and boosts your professional development. I do believe we are on the right path as I reflect on the ICN code of Ethics Section 2.1 The nurse carries personal responsibility and accountability for nursing practice, and for maintaining competence by continual learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peachy Peach, I must say you have a very unique name, lovely. This topic you spoke on nursing informatics is very interesting. If I was not participating in this course myself I would have jump on board with you as it is as you explained very interesting and boosts your professional development. I do believe we are on the right path as I reflect on the ICN code of Ethics Section 2.1 The nurse carries personal responsibility and accountability for nursing practice, and for maintaining competence by continual learning.

    ReplyDelete